Mosquito are annoying and their bites can lead to itchy skin. They can also make you extremely sick due to the fact they are carriers of several deadly diseases including West Nile, Zika, malaria, chikungunya, meningitis, and various forms of encephalitis , including Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE.) (There is currently no evidence that COVID-19, a respiratory disease, is spread through mosquito bites.) Mosquitoes can also infect your pets with heart worms and other diseases. It is crucial to take necessary steps to protect yourself, your family, and your pets against these flying pests.
Personal Mosquito Control and Protection
Here are some tips from Wild Trappers to protect your home and family from mosquitos this summer:
- Personal repellents: DEET, Picaridan, and oil of lemon eucalyptus are some of the most effective ingredients, but there are a variety of other personal insect repellent options.
- Defensive dressing: Tightly woven materials are more difficult for mosquitos to bite through.
- Choose your time outdoors: Stay indoors during dawn and dusk hours when most female mosquitoes are feeding.
- Eliminate breeding sites: Eliminating larvae is much more efficient than attempting to eliminate adult mosquitoes. Mosquitos love laying their eggs in standing water (as little as a tablespoon) and moist soil so it is crucial to identify and eliminate any areas of standing water around your home, including bird baths, tree holes, sprinkler heads, and shady areas.
- Focus on your gutters: Rotting leaves, branches, and debris accumulate over the winter months in your downspouts and gutters, causing standing water to accumulate in the gutter system. This becomes the perfect breeding grounds and habitat for It’s important to keep your gutters clean during all seasons, but it’s especially important to clear them out in late winter or early spring, because while mosquitoes are definitely annoying, they are also a public health risk.
Partner with Wild Trappers for a Mosquito-Free Summer
When DIY steps are just not enough, it’s time to call the professionals. Our knowledgeable pest professionals can properly identify your current and potential pest problems and establish a plan suited specifically to your circumstances. A properly functioning gutter system is crucial for protecting your home and family. At Wild Trappers, our gutter and downspout cleaning services can eliminate spots for mosquitoes to live and breed. Protect yourself, your family, your pets, and your property from unwanted pests this summer with mosquito protection from Wild Trappers. We offer free inspections and ensure 100% customer satisfaction. Call us at (770) 828-9622 or request a free estimate online today.